Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Nagy's Second Straight Overtime Game-Winner Seals Pivotal OAC Men's Soccer Win over Mount Union

Sophomore Attila Nagy scored the overtime game-winner in BW's 2-1 OAC win against Mount Union
Sophomore Attila Nagy scored the overtime game-winner in BW's 2-1 OAC win against Mount Union

BEREA, Ohio – For the second consecutive match, sophomore Baldwin Wallace University men's soccer midfielder Attila Nagy (Lakewood) scored the game-winning overtime goal in a pivotal 2-1 Ohio Athletic Conference victory against the University of Mount Union on Tressel Field inside the George Finnie Stadium.

BW (11-8, 4-4 OAC) won its first matchup against Mount Union (9-3-4, 3-2-3 OAC) since 2016 and improved its all-time record against the Purple Raiders to 11-22-3. After tonight's OAC action, the Yellow Jackets squeezed their way into the sixth and final playoff spot in the OAC standings with just one match remaining in the regular season.

The weather was not an ally to either team from the moment of kick-off until the final buzzer. Intervals of rain presented ball-control issues, which encouraged the conference adversaries to keep plays simple. Offensive opportunities were scarce in the first half, with both teams combining for only two shots on goal in the frame, and in non-threatening fashion. The game remained scoreless headed to the break.

BW broke the ice in the second half with the game's first goal at the 60th minute mark. Off a broken play in the box from a corner kick, sophomore defender Reed Watkins (Munster, Ind.) managed to header in his first goal of the season to put the Yellow Jackets up 1-0. Senior defender Jake Woodruff (Willow Grove, Pa./Upper Dublin) was credited with an assist on the play. Mount Union was able to respond in the 80th minute when sophomore Adam Passino lobbed a lengthy shot just above the keeper's grasp to nod the game up at 1-1. Senior All-OAC, Academic All-OAC and CoSIDA Academic All-American forward Danny Ruple (Berea-Berea-Midpark) had a chance to be the hero in the 84 th minute when he ripped a shot from roughly 20 yards out, that slipped through the keeper's hands and rang off the cross-bar. No one could find the victory-clincher in the closing minutes, and both teams headed to overtime.

The game had finally found an ending in the 98th minute. BW's Nagy netted his second overtime-winning goal in as many games to secure the 2-1 victory over the Purple Raiders.

Yellow Jacket freshman goalkeeper Nolan Kellogg (Strongsville) earned his first collegiate win in his first collegiate start this evening, securing three saves on four shots faced. His season record now stands at 1-0.

BW will wrap up the regular season when they travel to Marietta to compete against Marietta College in an OAC matchup at 7:00 p.m. on Marietta Field.