Men’s Lacrosse Falls to Capital in OAC Semifinals

Alex Binner
Alex Binner

BEREA, Ohio – The second-seeded Baldwin Wallace University men's lacrosse team lost to Capital University, 12-4, in an Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament semifinal game on Tressel Field inside The George Finnie Stadium.

BW (12-3) was led by senior All-OAC defender Josiah Greve (Milford) as he caused four turnovers and collected four ground balls. On offense, junior attackman Alex Binner (East Amherst, N.Y./Williamsville North) scored a team-high two goals.

Capital (10-5), who advances to the OAC Championship game on Saturday, May 6, was led junior attackman Brennan O'Callaghan (West Chester/Lakota West) as he scored a game-high five goals. In addition, junior midfielder Teddy Crites scored three goals and added an assist for four points. Defensively, junior goalkeeper Cole Palmby made a game-high 14 saves and earned the victory.    

Capital jumped out to an early 3-0 lead when senior attackman Brent Walton beat the BW goalkeeper from 10 yards out off an assist from freshman attackman C.J. Hughes at the 3:33 mark. The Yellow Jackets cut the Crusaders to 3-1 when junior All-OAC attackman Brock Riemenschneider (Rocky River) connected with Binner for the goal with 1:45 left in the quarter. 

In the second quarter, Capital extended its lead to 5-1 when Walton scored off an assist from Crites at the 8:15 mark. BW cut the Crusaders lead back to two goals when freshman midfielder Riley Mahon (Palatine, Ill./William Fremd) netted a goal off a feed from sophomore attack Mike Nanosky (Medina) to make it 5-3 at the 8:15 mark. Capital scored the final four goals of the half with the last coming from Crites with 37 seconds left to give the Crusaders a 9-3 lead at halftime.

The Yellow Jackets scored the only goal in a third quarter filled with solid defense and goalkeeping when junior midfielder Matt McDowell (East Amherst, N.Y./Williamsville North) found Binner for his second goal of the game to make the score 9-4 at the 10:35 mark.

In the final 15 minutes of play, the Crusaders scored the final three goals in the fourth quarter with the last coming at the 1:57 mark off an unassisted goal by O'Callaghan at the 1:57 mark. 


View: Mobile | Desktop