Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Basketball Splits Season Series with Victory Over Mount Union on Seniors' Night

Seniors Jay Battle and Kyle Nader accompanied by family for Seniors' Night
Seniors Jay Battle and Kyle Nader accompanied by family for Seniors' Night

BEREA, Ohio – The Baldwin Wallace University men's basketball team split the season series with the University of Mount Union after a 79-69 victory on Seniors' Night, inside Ursprung Gymnasium in the Lou Higgins Center.

The Purple Raiders have lost four in a row here in Berea, including an 84-60 defeat in the playoffs in last years postseason. The last victory for Mount Union in Ursprung Gymnasium was an 80-79 victory on January 27, 2016.

BW (16-8, 10-7 OAC) had four in double figures led by senior two-time All-Ohio Athletic Conference guard Jay Battle (Gahanna/Lincoln) and junior Academic All-OAC guard Michael Quiring (Brunswick), who marked 16 points each. Junior forward Tyler Colombo poured in 13 and grabbed six rebounds, while sophomore guard Matthew Dimitrijevs (Broadview Hts./Brecksville-Broadview Hts.) tallied 11.

Mount Union (19-5, 13-4 OAC) was led by senior guard Tommy Stenger who recorded a game-high 19 points, while junior guard Nathan Bower-Malone and senior forward Diallo Niamke both scored 15.

Mount Union scored the first basket of the game and BW quickly tied it with a nifty no-look pass from sophomore guard Luke Schaefer (Medina) to Battle for the layup at 19:13. The Yellow Jackets established their first lead with senior guard Kyle Nader (Vermilion) splitting a pair of free-throws on their next possession and extended it to 6-2 off a Colombo three at 18:29. The Purple Raiders tied it up at six and then at eight off a Niamke jump shot at 17:05. From there BW went on a 16-6 run, capped off by a Dimitrijevs three to give the Yellow Jackets their first double-digit lead of the game at 24-14 with 11:50 left in the half. Mount Union split two free throws in their next possession and neither team would score for nearly three minutes until Quiring broke the scoring drought with a layup at 8:57, bringing the score to 26-15. The Purple Raiders cut the lead to 30-22 at 5:25 with a 7-4 run, capped off by a Niamke layup. Mount Union closed the half on a 10-8 run after a last second three from Bower-Malone and went into halftime trailing the Yellow Jackets 40-32.

The Yellow Jacket lead of eight remained the same over the first three and a half minutes as both teams scored four points to start the second half. Mount Union went on a 12-5 spurt to trim the lead to 49-48 with 9:14 left in regulation. With the score close and the Purple Raiders threating, the Yellow Jackets would not relinquish the lead as a Nader three at 8:17 broke the Yellow Jackets 0-9 drought from deep to start the second half, bringing the score 54-50. With a 7-4 run, Mount Union cut the lead to one once more of 58-57 with 6:21 left in the second half and the Yellow Jackets responded with a 15-6 run over the next four minutes to give them a double-digit lead of 73-63. Quiring caught fire scoring 12 of his 16 points in that span. Both squads scored six points  in the final two minutes as BW came away with the 79-69 victory.

The Yellow Jackets are back in action on Saturday, February 16 when they travel to Otterbein University for the final regular season contest at 2 p.m.